We have a lot of hype and buzzwords, especially with so much noise on social media from decluttering with Marie Kondo or The Home Edit to more recent headlines like "lazy girl jobs" and "quiet quitting." But one buzzword that won't go out of fashion is "hygge" or the Danish word that is pronounced "hoo-ga" and is the concept that we should all enjoy life's simple pleasures.
Hygge represents a unique way of life that centres around finding comfort, cosiness, and contentment in everyday moments. Embracing hygge can have a profound impact on your well-being, helping you find joy in the simplicity of life. Let's explore.
What is hygge?
At its core, hygge is about creating a warm, inviting atmosphere and finding pleasure in the small, mundane aspects of life. It's the feeling you get when you curl up with a good book by the fireplace on a cold winter's day or when you share laughter with friends over a homemade meal. Hygge is an appreciation of life's simple pleasures and an intentional effort to savour them. Whatever brings you pleasure can be anything like taking a walk on a crisp sunny day or soaking in the bath with a glass of red wine or cosying up by the fire with hot chocolate and your Kindle.
How can I create a hygge lifestyle?
Embracing hygge is not just about decorating your home in a particular way; it's a holistic approach to life. Here are some ways to cultivate comfort and cosiness in your everyday life.
- Warmth and ambience: Warm lighting (think candles or fairy lights) to create a welcoming atmosphere with a strong emphasis on candles; the Danes only use non-fragrant natural white candles.
- Comfortable spaces: Cosy textiles like blankets, throw pillows, and soft rugs.
- Connect with nature: Spending time outdoors and connecting with nature is an essential aspect of hygge such as a park walk or a weekend getaway in the countryside.
- Homemade meals: Quality, homemade food and/or cooking together with loved ones and sharing a home-cooked dinner fosters a sense of togetherness and contentment. Think hot cocoa or hot blueberry juice with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Unplug and be present: Put away your devices and be fully present in the moment, engaging in meaningful conversations, playing board games, or simply relaxing without distractions.
- Savour simple pleasures: Embrace the joy of a hot cup of tea, a slice of freshly baked bread, or the sound of rain against your window. Hygge is all about appreciating life's small pleasures.
- Social connection: Spending quality time with friends and family is an integral part of hygge such as gathering for a potluck dinner, enjoying a movie night, or having a picnic in the park to nurture these connections.
- Hyggekrog: Create your own hyggekrog, a cosy nook in your home where you can unwind with a good book, a warm drink, or simply sit and contemplate in comfort.
Find ways to create hygge in your everyday life.
What are the benefits of hygge?
Hygge offers a multitude of benefits, both physical and emotional. It promotes relaxation, reduces stress, and fosters a sense of contentment. By embracing this way of life, you can enhance your overall well-being and find joy in the everyday. It encourages a slower, more mindful pace of life, which can be particularly beneficial in our fast-paced world.